Join the Team
Want to be a part of the WILDCOAST team? Opportunities to work with us will be posted below whenever they're available.
If you are interested in a position posted, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
WILDCOAST is an international conservation team that conserves coastal and marine ecosystems and wildlife. Our conservation strategies include establishing and managing protected areas, communications campaigns, developing conservation policy and building conservation capacity among communities and management agencies.
Marine Protected Area (MPA) Watch Program Coordinator
WILDCOAST is an international conservation team that conserves coastal and marine ecosystems and wildlife. Since 2012, WILDCOAST has worked with the Department of Fish and Wildlife and partner organizations to implement San Diego County’s network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) through outreach, education, monitoring and policy development. WILDCOAST co-chairs the San Diego County MPA Community Collaborative, a network of over 40 agencies, user groups, NGOs and elected officials working on MPA implementation activities in San Diego County. WILDCOAST has coordinated, with the support of the Collaborative and its partners, the MPA Watch Program in San Diego County since 2012.
The MPA Watch Program Coordinator will standardize, coordinate and manage California’s statewide MPA Watch Program with partner organizations, agencies and county collaboratives. MPA Watch is a statewide human-use data collection program being used evaluate how people use California’s MPA network and help guide future MPA management decisions. The coordinator, with partner organizations, will standardize trainings and methodologies; create and execute volunteer recruitment and retention plans; coordinate statewide and regional meetings, calls and trainings; manage internal databases (trainings, budget, participants and volunteers); coordinate MPA data management with Ocean Science Trust and Green Info Network; develop outreach materials; coordinate social media outreach via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, MPA Watch website and blog; and fundraise for program sustainability. Weekend work activities and frequent travel will be required.
Reports to: Conservation Director
STATUS: Full Time
REQUISITE SKILLS / EDUCATION
Education: Minimum BA/BS in marine biology, environmental science, natural resource management, marine science or any related field. MA/MS preferred.
Skills: Excellent coordination, negotiation, leadership, writing, communication and management skills. Skilled in Google Earth, Microsoft Word, Excel, web/app development, Adobe Acrobat, GIS and data management. Skilled in social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Wordpress, etc. Ability to work independently in a diverse set of situations, including field-work, meeting facilitation, presentations and more.
Experience: 3 – 5 years working experience in marine/coastal conservation or a related field. Experience in citizen science and transect monitoring. Experience with volunteer and stakeholder coordination. Have familiarity and/or work experience with California’s MPA network.
- Coordinate semi-annual meetings and monthly phone calls for program members and partners
- Develop and carry out a statewide volunteer recruitment and retention plan
- Standardize MPA Watch training, presentations, data sheets, field guides
- Coordinate program outreach and communications for statewide programs, including social media campaigns via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, MPA Watch.org and MPA Watch blog
- Design and create MPA Watch informational material
- Conduct MPA site visit with MPA Watch program managers
- Manage internal MPA Watch database management including budget
- Research funding opportunities
- Write proposals and reports for program financial sustainability
- Increase the use of MPA Watch data by agencies, researchers and coastal managers
- Serve as the liaison between the MPA Watch network and technical support
To apply send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover
Posted January 31, 2017.